Sunday, March 9, 2008

Blows my mind

So I currently enrolled in a US history course. Wow do they really only tell you the glorified version of history in grade school!!! It amazes me the things that our government and its leaders have done in the not so distant past. The subject that totally put my panties in a wad is the fact that the government secretly sterilized men and women they considered "feebleminded". The definition of feebleminded was vague and often women who birthed children out of wedlock were given the label. This happened from the 20's and continued well into the 1980's. Are you kidding me? The government would tell these men and women oh this is a shot for so and so and it was not until year later when they were unable to conceive a child that they learned that the country they loved had deceived them. So being "easy" or having a child out of wedlock makes you unfit for parenthood? Wow, if that were the case half the country would be locked up in institutions and considered feebleminded.
I love that when you are taught history in elementary and high school even, they portray our founding fathers and subsequent leaders as they morally righteous men. Too often we hear today how our society is going down the drain, when in reality the problems we have today were also faced in the past as well. I believe it was Madison who had an affair with one of his slaves and impregnated her. Franklin Roosevelt cheated on Eleanor with her secretary and she moved into a separate house on the Roosevelt estate. Yet when Clinton used cigars as sex toys the nation was in an uproar as he was the leader of the country and dagnabbit he better uphold family morals.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Of course, they aren't going to tell you the gory details in elementary/high school. Then you might be inclined to actually have to pay attention to the political surroundings. It might cause you to want to create change. Unfortunately, the government doesn't want that.

Some days... I am anti-government. :o(

Anonymous said...

Wow! Didn't know that either, but I agree with Kellie. Even the "some days... I am anti-government."

Becki said...

There are so many different views to every story. I remember an instructor in college who taught her U.S. History course from a native American perspective. Hmm....

Anonymous said...

I am from NZ and we were also taught a very interesting version of our nations history. I too have gone in search of the truth and it was very interesting. I know a lot about your country's history and it is obviously a lot more truthful thn you have been taught. I wonder if any nation tells the truth. Intersting indeed.